Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The garden that won't die

I have tried to kill these things a number of times.

First, I waited a long time before I potted them, leaving them languishing in their tiny nursery containers. Then, when they had fallen over from the heat, and only then, did I actually plant them in the nice cool dirt and watered them. Oh, did I water them. They perked up for a couple of days, but that wouldn't do, so I watered some more, and some more again. I watered the heck out of them so they started to turn yellow and fall over limp again from me essentially drowning them. Too bad I didn't put enough drainage holes in the pots. So to draw out the plant torture a bit longer, I ripped up the plants, added some more holes (still not enough though, don't want them to actually ENJOY their pots), and plunked them back in. I decided to not water for a while, and kept not watering so they started getting shriveled and dry. Then the big storm came and pelted the little things so they fell over in agony. I didn't feel like dragging them under cover, so they stayed out there while I laughed.

The last couple of days I've noticed a few small yellow flowers on some of the tomato plants. No problem, I figured. I just sent my cats outside and they obliged me by batting at the flowers and knocking over the pots. That'll show those plants, I thought. This morning as I was leaving for work I noticed two tiny green baby tomatoes, smaller than my fingertips. They just won't give up! No problem, I'm sure I'll "forget" to water them again.

Here you can see the babies. They are roma tomatoes.



Another picture of the baby romas.



Here is the majority of the garden. The first seven containers (all that's visible in the picture) are tomatoes. Most of them are heirloom organic varieties. The romas (not organic/heirloom) are called La Roma, I think, and I also have a Yellow Boy (also not organic/heirloom). The heirlooms are Black Krim, Pineapple Tomato, Green Zebra and Yellow Pear.



Here are my herbs. The tall one in the back is lemongrass (like in Thai food). The bushier one on the left is Lime Basil (smells heavenly) and the one on the right is some sort of bunching onion.



I'm so proud. We'll see if I actually get a "harvest" this summer, but even if I just get those two tomatoes, it's still pretty cool. :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Get the dogs to pee on them. That's how Charlie killed my blueberry plant.

Tanja said...

That is so cool Sara! Here in Arizona we wouldn't have to wait long before they die of heat stroke!
My 15 year old had to do a project for her lab class and she decided to grow tomatoes, two plants upside down (as you see in the commercials) and two in a standing pot. She watered them faithfully, and this week we had our first ripe tomatoes.
They standing up pot won though, had the most, best, tomatoes.

Can I come and visit you? :-)

Tanja