A post on the widow board sparked this thought process. In it, the widow remarked how a coworker wanted the old her back.
The fact is, the old me is gone. It died with Joe, and that's OK. I think we lose the old us with every significant life change. For example, the old me died when I got married.
Let me think about the old me. I was tired, depressed, wanted things but wasn't working for them. I was stressed, angry, and losing my patience with those closest to me. I was also more secure in my place as a wife, and of course did not need to impress or attract men. I could talk to any man without much shyness because I didn't care if they were attracted to me or not.
The new me is slightly improved, I think. While I do worry about my future and whether I'll find lasting love and create my own family, I also see hope and excitement. I don't think I am depressed right now, or at least not as much as I was. I am slowly working toward what I want. I am making progress in my house (painfully slow as it is) and taking classes at school. I am not as stressed, not as angry, and am regaining my patience that I'm known for. However, I am back to being shy and self-conscious around men, since now every man I meet is a potential, until I find out more about them (married or not, etc.) I no longer have the status of being a wife. I'm back to being a single woman, which feels like a few rungs lower on the social ladder.
Of course the new me is constantly changing and evolving. What I feel today may or may not be different next week. I hope it only gets better.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i feel the same way, sara. could've have written this blog. i think you are doing the best that you can right now & i am proud that you are. the best thing is to keep working, and knowing that you are everchanging. :) hugs.
Sara, I also feel that this is the better version of me. I am less angry and way less selfish than I was before. Different. Nicer.
I'm ahead of you by two years on this widow road, and let me tell you that it does get better to be in the company of men. I don't see every man as a potential marriage candidate anymore, now I can be my usual Tanja again. It does get better, like your house, slowly.
By the way, my house is slowly detoriating it seems :-(
Post a Comment