Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Charleston weekend


I'm back. It was just a mini-vacation. Friday night I drove up there. I ended up running behind schedule (like always) and left home about 6:15, got up to Charleston around 11pm. I had to drive in the dark, which I hate with a passion. The last hour was not interstate unfortunately. It was mostly a 2-lane road, in the dark, with no gas stations open. I saw deer on the side grazing, which was both cool ("awww...deer") and scary ("please God, don't let them run in front of the truck!") E ended up not going so it was just me and my friend Tanya, which was fine, probably better that way anyway. We had some fun moments.

Fondest memories of the trip include:

- The Ravenel Bridge - that thing is HUGE! We must have driven over it a dozen times because we'd get lost or turned around. It's beautiful and massive.


- Shrimp and grits at Majestic Grill. Looks like a dive inside, but the food was really good. Shrimp, onions, mushrooms sauteed in ancho chili sauce, on top of thick grits....mmmm-mmmm good.

- The damned DASH buses. They are part of the city bus system that runs around the historic downtown part of Charleston. We had to buy tickets on the bus, so I put in a $20, then was told they don't give change (passes are $4), so great. But oh well. Then when we were tired at the end of the long day walking around, we wanted to get a ride back, and the bus drove right past us, wouldn't stop. Jerk.

- All that walking...my feet and legs were SO sore. At least it's good exercise. And I got some pink on my cheeks (I am very fair.)

- We saw a dog get loose from its owner, so while I stayed with our stuff, my friend went chasing after the dog, dodging traffic, back and forth, probably over a mile in total. All this in heels and a skirt! What a woman!

We also toured a historic house (one of the oldest in the city), took a 90-minute bus tour, had really great Italian on Saturday night, and slept like babies in our hotel rooms.

(Disclaimer - these are not my pics - I was lazy and didn't take any.)

No comments: