My mom had originally said we could have a get together at her house to celebrate. Last minute she changed her mind, but thank God for my 2 aunts. One of them offered her house, and they both bought food and supplies for the party (Joe and I had no money, just barely paid for rings - cheap rings at that.) The next day, Saturday, we had the impromptu party, attended by about 30 of our friends and family. My dad didn't come, neither did Joe's parents. To be fair, we told everyone not to feel obligated since it was last minute and we'd be having another wedding down the road, but it still hurt. Turns out we never got around to another wedding, never had the white dress or the church deal. We had a grocery store cake with very bright icing, but in a wonderful surprise move, my aunts topped it with my Granny's old wedding topper (used about 60 years earlier.) I remember how touched I was. I am also thankful my Granny was alive to see it - I am the only one of her grandchildren she saw get married, and she actually liked Joe. She ended up dying less than a year later.
Today wasn't really anything special. Housework and laundry, followed by math homework. Funny enough, I ordered a widow ring from eBay and it arrived today. I'm wearing it now and it feels both comforting and very strange to have a ring on again. I think I like it.

So Joe, Happy Anniversary. I'm sorry we never got around to having the fancy wedding, but I'm glad we did it when we did. I'm so glad I married you. I love you, babe.
2 comments:
love the way your ring just "showed up" on what would ahve been your anniversay..hmmm I think Joe had a lot to do with that!
i agree with sjw! we also got married in the courthouse & on the 13th (it was a monday in june, though, lol). we SO loved when it was on friday the 13th, geeks we are/were! hugs on the anniversary & here's to the wonderful memories! i really dig the ring, too.
Post a Comment