I like this book. It was short enough for me to read in one day (well, an afternoon and an evening.) I always love stories about women, especially in other cultures, about their daily lives and their struggles. This book has several themes running through it. First, it's about 2 girls living in 1800's China. It describes the hard life of a woman, especially a poor woman, footbinding (if you've never heard of this, look it up, it's fascinating and disturbing at the same time), and how friendship can change as you grow up. It also talks about how a misunderstanding can ruin a friendship forever. It's not my all-time favorite novel, but I think it is well-written and highly descriptive, and I may read it again some day. If you like Amy Tan's books (I do), I think you will like this one. Author's website
Amazon review and purchase info
No comments:
Post a Comment