
I watched a documentary called "Darfur Now" last night. It featured stories of 6 people involved in the Darfur crisis - an actor/activist, a prosecutor for the International Criminal Court, someone from the World Food program, an ordinary guy turned activist for "divesting in Sudan," a chief in one of the refugee camps, and a woman rebel fighter. It was incredibly moving, really interesting, and of course really sad. There's a point toward the end of the film where a Sudanese woman basically says, "when the white people come, all will be better." That is sad on so many levels.
I've always been interested in the world outside of my bubble, but I really haven't done anything about it. I want to change that. I want to educate myself and maybe try to make some sort of a small difference, even if it's for one person. Not just in Darfur, but all over the world. We Americans forget there is so much suffering going on. We have it so good, that we can't even imagine what it must be like to have your child ripped from your arms, to be raped and beaten regularly, to watch your family starve, to walk miles for clean water.
Please join me in trying to do SOMETHING. It doesn't have to involve an overseas trip to a war-torn region. It could be helping someone in your own town. But go outside your protective bubble.
Some information about Darfur:
www.enoughproject.org
www.solarcookerproject.org
www.t-mac.com
Please post any other resources in the comments section if you have something to add.
There was another quote in the film, Don Cheadle said (going by memory, sorry if not exact), "The time for words is over, the time for action is now."
2 comments:
Hi Sari, thank you so much for posting this and putting attention to this awful situation.
I nominated you for the Arte y Pico award for bloggers, you deserve it!
Tanja
Thank you Tanja!
Post a Comment