Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Making social committments, then wanting to back out

Is this a widow thing, or normal? I have no idea, since I don't remember much of my feelings/life prior to widowhood. (Sad I guess, but mostly true.)

I get a fair amount of invitations to do things with friends/aquaintances. I'm grateful, don't get me wrong. In the "heat of the moment" I'll usually say yes, but then within an hour or two, I'm regretting it. I fantasize about ways to get out of it, sometimes I'll actually make up a story so I don't have to go. (I'm "sick" - cough, cough) Maybe I'm just tired? I want to have friends and enjoy having a network of people, but I guess I don't want to put in the effort to maintain, LOL.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I'm like that, but I was like that before I even met my husband. (16 years ago now, yikes!) I remember being in college and having to force myself to keep plans I'd made with friends -- I was fine with spur-of-the-moment "hey, we're going to the bar across the street, want to come" sort of stuff, but if I said on Friday that I'd go out with someone on Saturday, I'd always spend the next 24 hours wishing I hadn't. I usually did end up having a good time when I went, though.