Thursday, January 08, 2009

Holidays catch-up

Christmas was quiet, but good overall. E came in town for the long weekend, so we spent 4 whole days together. It was nice, but I was also glad when he left, because I was antsy to get back home and take care of things I'd been neglecting (namely my dogs). My mom and cousin went with me to Midnight Mass, which was nice, but we didn't get home until 2am Christmas morning! E and I exchanged gifts, it was low-key and nice. Later on Christmas morning, I went to breakfast at my mom's (family tradition of sausage biscuits with about 10 people there). Later I went to my sister-in-law's house for about 45 minutes, then left. I just couldn't stay any longer. Unfortunately about half of my in-laws were late showing up so I didn't get to see them, but I'll catch up another time. I went back to E's, skipped out on my family's dinner. I felt a little guilty about that, but oh well. This constant house-hopping gets really old. When Joe was alive, we had to make about 5 different stops between our families, and it's exhausting and you can't even enjoy the holidays. For my immediate family, we kept our gift exchanging to a limit of $25.00 per person. I actually liked it better like that. It was a little more challenging, but better overall. Otherwise it's like we're just trading cash around, which is no fun.

On to New Year's. E was not planning on coming in town since he had to work on Friday. We talked on the phone New Year's Eve evening, around 10pm. He said he really wished he could see me. I joked around and said, we could meet in Daytona, half way between our cities. He laughed, we talked a bit more, then he said, OK, you want to? So we jumped in our cars, raced to Daytona, and got to a hotel just 20 minutes before midnight. Enough time to check in and share a kiss as the ball dropped on TV. It was spontaneous, completely out of character for him, and romantic. It was nice. I had to leave about 9am the next morning, so we didn't get to spend too much time together, but the brief rendezvous was appreciated.

One embarrassing thing that happened over the holidays, E informed me that I was snoring. I knew I did lightly, sometimes, but he said it got worse Christmas weekend, like I was driving a big truck or something! How embarrassing! Just had to share.

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.

No comments: