Tuesday, November 04, 2008

All Souls' Day

All Souls' Day was Sunday. My mom, aunt, cousin and I went to a special Mass at St. Joseph's in the evening. Usually it's held in the cemetery but it was rainy so we moved indoors to the old church. I love the old church. It is probably over a hundred years old, and beautiful. We had the funeral for Joe in the church. Anyway, after the service the priest went around the cemetery blessing all the graves. I saw the new plaque on Joe's niche for the first time (the old one had the wrong date, and I hadn't been there since last Thanksgiving anyway, so this was the 2nd time total that I've been there) and it was OK. My mother-in-law put a really gaudy Florida Gators sticker on the plaque and I laughed when I saw it. I know Joe would love it but I'm sure the groundskeepers are hating me right now. I touched the plaque a few times, said a prayer for him (also lit a candle in the church for him) and we left.

No comments: