Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Volunteering with the veterans

My aunt has recently joined the Ladies' Auxiliary of the VFW (I think I got that right) and has been recruiting other family members to pitch in. I've been looking for something, so this seemed right. Two weekends ago I joined her and my uncle with their VFW branch at a veterans' hospital in Lake City, about an hour and a half away.

I woke up that morning, dressed, then went out to leave. BRRRR! For an October morning in Florida, it was cold and windy. I figured I should have a light jacket so ran into one of my usual stores to try to find one. Passing by the 3-angle mirror gave me pause. I was NOT looking good. Actually, I looked terrible! Long story short, I ended up buying a whole new outfit right then and there. Of course I needed shoes, so I stopped in the store next door. An hour later, and $150.00 lighter, I was on my way to the sticks (sorry, Lake City).

The weekend's activity was the fall festival. Volunteers were needed to help run the booths, talk to the residents/patients, and just bring a smiling face. We were running the bean bag toss booth, where the player tries to toss a bean bag into a hole in a board marked with certain prizes. They could win different forms of candy, or a hug. Boy, those old men like to hug the women! It was really sweet actually. One old man in particular kept coming back to win hugs from my aunt. She told me later it felt like her tits were going to be squeezed off - her words. The Jaguars' cheerleaders performed, which was probably everyone's favorite part. I took a little (secret, evil) pleasure in noticing the back fat on the cheerleaders. Sorry, I didn't have a great relationship with cheerleaders in high school. I'm human.

Overall, I had a great time. The weather was actually perfect for being outside, and it was so nice to be able to do something for others. It was nice to be able to help out/support my aunt as well. She does so much for veterans and soldiers and I feel bad that the family doesn't help as much as she does.

No comments: