
Earlier last week, E said he wanted to go somewhere this weekend, but wanted it to be a surprise and spur-of-the-moment. I didn't know where, but Friday evening, he gave me a choice of Savannah, Georgia, or St. Augustine, Florida. I chose Savannah since I haven't been there in 15 years. So, we drove the 2 hours, got a little lost in Savannah but had a good time finding our way. Friday night we stayed at a Best Western hotel (cheap! $50.00!) and woke up around noon. We made it into the historic district Saturday afternoon and drove around. We didn't do much, really. E wanted to keep it relaxed and that was OK with me. We went in a few shops, then walked for a while on cobble-stoned River Street, but didn't buy anything.
Saturday evening, I talked E into going to Mass with me at the Cathedral in Savannah. I was really surprised he went, and although I think he was nervous about what to do during Mass, everything was fine. Something interesting happened in Mass...there were a few mentions of "Emmanuel" in the songs and the readings, and that's E's name. Most people would probably say it's nothing, as "Emmanuel" is a name for the Lord anyway, and this is Advent season so I think this is generally when they use those particular songs/readings. BUT - that name for the Lord is not used every service. I don't remember the last time I've heard it used. I think it's interesting that after nearly 8 months of us dating, this was the first time he went to Mass with me. Maybe it's a sign? LOL
Overall, we had a good time on our little get-away. On the drive back, we (mainly me) hummed Christmas songs and the other person had to guess which song we were humming. E could only think of one song to hum, but I had a lot, and he guessed them all! I was surprised considering he spent his first 30 or so years in Nigeria, and I am assuming they don't commonly sing American Christmas songs.
Now, pictures. The picture at the very top is the exterior view Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. Below, the interior view of the cathedral:

Finally, a view of River Street:

(Note: Pics are not mine since I didn't bring batteries for my camera, but it's the same stuff I saw.)
1 comment:
Looks like a beautiful place, I've never been. I'll have to add it to my list of places I'd like to see.
hugs,
Amanda (ywbb)
Post a Comment