No, I don't think this is sour grapes, rather, maturity on my part. Plus a deeper understanding on what truly matters in life.
Engagement rings are getting bigger and flashier every year. It seems like women want to one-up each other. I was no different. Like a typical woman, I appreciate shiny things, and I had been hoping for something eye-catching when E would propose.
The ring he gave me is not flashy, probably not terribly expensive (not saying it's cheap, just not crazy expensive), but it's beautiful and it's OURS. Every day I like it more and more.
At lunch with my sister today, she asked me if I had shown E my previous engagement ring. No, I have not. (My previous engagement ring was quite a bit larger, very expensive, but also stayed on layaway for 5+ years, long after we were married. Seriously.) She asked if I was going to ask that we return this one and pick out a bigger one together. No, I'm not. Big, flashy diamonds don't mean anything. They don't mean a better or easier marriage, truer love, or deeper commitment. The whole point of an engagement ring is just a symbol of the engagement - of the promise to be together. That, and maybe a "BACK OFF" signal to other men, LOL.
Like I said, every day I like my ring more. My ring is basically 2 smaller diamonds, snuggled next to each other. I look at it many times every day, and each time it makes me think of the two of us, bonded, united. It is a sweet thought.
I hope this does really mean I have grown as a person, past a little bit of materialism we are all guilty of.
Peace (and love) to you all.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment